Raspberry macarons and a Blog Anniversary



One year ago, I posted this recipe, on my blog, La Gallette. I barely knew how blogs functioned and it was hard to find my way around, at first. It then became a hobby, a passion, something that I occasionally spend time on. And now I can't imagine a better way to spend my time.

It all started when me and one of my best friend, Nahla, we were talking about blogs, an she suggested that I should start one... that got me thinking. And on the 24th of March 2012, La Gallette was born.
It wouldn't of happened without you Nahla! Thank you.


I've been introduced to a lot of fellow food bloggers, people that share the same passion. Just like me. It's overwhelming at the amount of bloggers that are experiencing the same thing. 

It truly is amazing.


So I wanted to thank you, my readers for everything. It's great knowing that someone out there truly appreciates your work. 

I would happily continue blogging if it was only for you. So thank you, again.


So cheers to the 55 posts and counting... there definitely would be more to come, this is just the beginning.

I'll leave you with these delicious macarons, a perfect way to celebrate a birthday!

Raspberry macarons

Ingredients
  • 250g almond meal
  • 250g icing sugar
  • 3 (90g) egg whites, at room temperature
  • 3 (90g) egg whites, extra (at room temperature)*
  • 65mL distilled water
  • 250g caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp freeze-dried raspberry powder or food colouring
To make the buttercream:
  • 3 egg egg whites
  • 180g caster sugar
  • 280g unsalted butter, softened and cubed
  • 2 tbsp raspberry puree
*the marked egg whites should be aged. To do this, leave whole eggs (un-cracked) at room temperature for 1 week prior to separation.

Method
  1. Place the almond meal and icing sugar in a large food processor until fine. Sift the contents into a large, stainless steel bowl.
  2. in a small bowl place the first 3 (90g) of egg whites with the freeze-dried raspberry powder/ food colouring. Whisk gently until combined.
  3. Add the egg mixture to the almond meal mixture but DO NOT stir yet.
  4. Meanwhile, place the other 3 (90g) of egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. DO NOT whisk yet.
  5. Place the caster sugar and distilled water in a medium saucepan over medium heat and boil until it reached 110C on the thermometer.
  6. When the syrup reaches 110C, start whisking the egg whites on medium speed until they form stiff peaks.
  7. Continue cooking the syrup until it reads 118C.
  8. Pour the syrup into the egg whites (in a thin stream) while still whisking the eggs over high speed.
  9. Beat the egg whites/syrup mixture until it reads 50C.
  10. Fold the meringue into the almond meal mixture. To test if done, drop a teaspoonful onto a small plate, the ribbon left should dis-appear within 30 seconds.
  11. Pipe the mixture amongst 5 trays lined with baking paper.
  12. Leave at room temperature until a thin skin forms on the tops of the macarons. To test, touch the macaron, the mixture should not stick onto your finger.
  13. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes. Cool.
To make the buttercream:
  1. Place the egg whites and sugar over a pot of simmering water, whisking constantly until it is hot to the touch.
  2. Remove from the pot and whisk, with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks.
  3. Add in the butter, 1 tbsp at a time, whisking in between each addition.
  4. Fold in the puree.

To assemble, pipe 1 tsp of buttercream onto a macaron and top with another.
Store in a refrigerator (in a air-tight container) for up to 1 month.


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop:

    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/clever-chicks-blog-hop-27-pizza-rustica.html





    I hope you can make it!



    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blog anniversary! Your macarons look absolutely gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete