Chocolate, pomegranate and hazelnut


One of my favourite custards are pots de creme. It sounds like those difficult French desserts with many stages and components but it just isn't.

Pots de creme is a baked custard that has eggs, milk, sugar, butter and chocolate (because I love chocolate). It is baked but then chilled to make the most utterly beautiful mousse-like and velvety textured custard. Very dense and very chocolate-y.


I had to share my all time favourite pots de creme with you so when I baked and chilled them ready to be photographed I couldn't help but grab a little pot for myself... a shoot-break I call it!


As much as it is delicious served alone by itself, I know I could not stop myself by garnishing it. 

A little spoon of double cream, pomegranate seeds and roasted hazelnuts made it much better. Slightly sweet and slightly sour. A beautiful combination.


It's scorching hot, to the point that we loathe going outside, instead we stay inside with the air conditioners on and berry popsicles and tomato salads for everyone.

The only time that I might go outside is to the garden, to my pomegranate tree. Unlike last year this year has been great for the deep red fruit, holding about 15 pomegranates.

It makes me proud.


The tomato plants are growing and there are little specks of red here and there in the plants. I couldn't wait to harvest them.

I make a little salad consisting of tomatoes, oil, salt, herbs and a little dash of crumbled Danish feta.

Delicious.


We made another batch right after they finished. Pouring, whisking, measuring and baking. We placed them in the fridge and went of to the markets... when me and my mum came back we ate one each.

One for you, one for me.


And that's it! I hope everyone has a wonderful week and stay tuned...




Chocolate pots de creme with pomegranate and hazelnuts
Makes 6 4-ounce servings

500ml coconut milk, well shaken
60g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
70g milk cooking chocolate, finely chopped
50g dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
1 egg
2 yolks
25g butter, melted

1/2 cup double cream
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
50g hazelnuts, toasted and crushed

  1. Preheat the oven to 175C.
  2. Place the coconut milk and vanilla extract in a medium saucepan. Meanwhile whisk the egg, yolks, melted butter and brown sugar until smooth.
  3. Once the coconut milk comes to a simmer, remove from the heat and stir in the milk and dark chocolate. Set aside for 5 minutes until the chocolate is completely melted.
  4. Stir the coconut milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking until smooth.
  5. Pour into 6 4-ounce oven-proof ramekins placed in a large roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with hot water until it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the centre is set. Bring to room temperature.
  7. Chill for 6 hours- overnight or until it is cold. Serve with a spoon of double cream, pomegranate seeds and hazelnut.

4 comments:

  1. That looks super awesome and a bit healthy, with the addition of the fruit and nuts. Well maybe not too healthy with that chocolate but I can tell myself that when I eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandbabycakes- it is quite nutritious. Not a lot of butter but coconut milk which is great for the body! I hope you enjoy it and tell me how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome recipe! I especially love your ceremic cup sets. May I ask where you got them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. D A B I N- thanks! I got them from a ceramics artist called Mia Blanche! The cups are amazing, I'm obsessed with them!

    ReplyDelete