A season of small treats


I'm very excited to share a few recipes I've been baking this week. Some madeleines and some savoury scones, our favourite. I didn't know I would have to make these 3 times, one day after another because they always seemed to be disappearing as soon as they came out of the oven so I didn't really have a chance to take some photos.


It's the season for small treats here and there, in picnics or at home. This is the season.

It's not very unusual for me to be in the kitchen all day long, after all it is where I am most comfortable after a long day full of events. Baking is more like therapy for me...


I've been testing a few recipes, trying to see if they need a few adjustments and substituting some ingredients for others.

I've also been trying to convert the recipes to gluten free versions, no I don't have any sensitivities to gluten but I just thought I would cut back on the gluten..but of course, I failed miserably.


There are brown butter, pistachio and cardamom madeleines, M. loved them, especially with crushed pistachios sprinkled on the top with a cup of tea, very soothing.

Many variations could be made, like apple madeleines or chocolate hazelnut just to name a few. This will become my only madeleine recipe.



I also made some savoury herb and pear scones, crumbly, moist and flavourful. The kitchen was filled with a delightful aroma, I guess that's how you know they are finished in the oven...



Savoury herb and pear scones
Makes 8

115g plain flour
70g oats or amaranth
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tbsp dill, finely chopped
80g butter, frozen and grated
80ml buttermilk, chilled
1/4 cup pears, diced

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Place the first 9 ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, fold in the diced pear and buttermilk.

Bring the dough together and roll to 1 inch thick. Cut out 2 inch circles and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 18 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden.

Brown butter, pistachio and cardamom madeleines
Makes 12

3 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp vanilla essence
150 g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
125g butter, browned but cooled
1 tsp cardamom
2 tbsp ground pistachios

In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder and cardamom. Place the eggs and sugar in a stand mixer and beat on high speed until very fluffy and pale.

Fold in the vanilla, brown butter, pistachio anddry ingredients until almost combined.

Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 200C. Pipe the mixture into greased madeleine pans and bake for 7 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 180C and bake for a further 3-5 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the pan before inverting onto a cooling rack.

2 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautiful!! Thanks for sharing all of your baking with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freya- I just started to experiment with photography but thank you!

    ReplyDelete